Monday, June 27, 2005

The Spanish Dances of Enrique Granados

Now, Alicia de Larrocha has made me fall in love with Granados's music again. I started on the Danzas Espanolas and I just couldn't stop listening, all the way up to the last of the twelve tracks. Her Danza Espanola No. 2 (Oriental) was just so tender and charming that it made my heart ache like never before. And she drew out the full melancholy yet melodious beauty of Danza Espanola No. 4 (Villanesca) so perfectly well. There's just so much to praise for her each and every track. Have I ever heard of a guitar who can play such pieces as well as she did? Well, Mr Manuel Barrueco was close, but nowhere at the level of this queen of the Spanish piano. Now, these twelve dances will be in my list of desired repertoire in the near future. How I wish I could caress such exquisite and soulful music out of the guitar like how Miss de Larrocha did on her piano...

No comments: