Monday, September 19, 2005

Preparation of Pieces

It's time to start organising what pieces to add to my repertoire for next year's competition, exams and events. And looking at the level of this year's competition, it's time for me to work extra hard.

For next year's exam, I've chosen 3 main pieces with 2 backup pieces in case I can't find a pianist for the chamber music and concerto. So they'll be Bach's Gavotte en Rondeau from BWV 1006a, Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata (1st movement), Rodrigo's Fantasia para un Gentilhombre (1st movement). The two backup pieces will be Tarrega's Capricho Arabe and Falla's Homenaje pour 'Le Tombeau de Claude Debussy'.

As for the competition, I'm still deciding between Turina or Ronaldo Miranda. I've ordered the Appassionata by the latter from overseas just two days ago and I've yet to see the score, but from what the way it sounds, it doesn't sound too easy. And until now, it seems that only Fabio Zanon's recording of it is in the market and I don't like the way he played this piece very much. But anyways, I'll try to master both pieces before the first quarter of next year, so I can have a choice for the competition. Oh, not forgetting the guitar duet. Haven't chosen a piece yet, but we've decided to start combining at the end of the year, in order to be in time for next year's competition...

That's all for now and several of these pieces are almost done except for several aspects which require finetuning. And of course, there's the theory aspect of music to tackle as well...

No comments: