Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Striking Similarity

Now, after so many entries on Bach, I guess it'll be nice to write a little about modern music for a change. A pretty drastic one, but well, that's what I've listened to recently...

There's this surprising similarity in one of William Duckworth's pieces of music, Dancing the Maze, featured under the Cathedral section (Moments) of the Monroe Street Music website and a track, Land of the Dead, from Philip Glass's CD, Music of The Screens, where he collaborated with Foday Musa Suso. The main theme of Philip's Glass piece has formed the background of William Duckworth's music. The latter's music seems to have a more complex and intricate structure. Does postminimalism simply means the evolution of minimalism into a more sophiscated form? I doubt so, there seems to be something more which I can't find the exact words for. Oh well, slowly, when I'm exposed to more of such music. When listening to such music, I find myself in a world of huge, towering yet obscure structures of sounds which interact with one another in the most mystical and enigmatic manner. Maybe my ears haven't gotten used to just intonation, but at least I can connect so much better with such music instead of feeling strange thinking that they're Indian classical music.

Nuance, nuances and nuances...

No comments: